- When choosing an apple, look for firm and smooth skin.
- Store at room temperature for only a few days, otherwise store in a
perforated plastic bag in the fruit crisper in your refrigerator.
- Braeburn are firm and crisp. Ideal for baking or making sauce.
Cameo are sweet and ideal for pies.
- Fuji are crisp and sweet. Good for baking or in salads.
- Golden Delicious are a great eating apple and can be used for baking.
- Granny Smith are green crisp and tart. They are good for eating or baking
Jazz are nice for salads.
- Macintosh apples are red and yellow and are good for baking pies and
- Pacific Queen are sweet and crisp. Great for salads.
- Red Delicious are red and are good to eat, but not bake with.
Always store on the counter top, never in the refrigerator
If bananas turn brown, peel and place in a zip lock bag and freeze. This
will make a good banana cake or bread someday (just thaw before
using and use all the contents even though it’s a little watery).
- Store in refrigerator 2-3 days.
- Rinse just before using as moisture will cause them to decay.
- Boysenberry- Large Blackberry, a cross between a blackberry and
Loganberry. Makes great jam.
- Strawberry – Peak season June – September
- Blackberries – Peak season June – August
- Blueberries – Peak season June-August
Refrigerate after purchasing them
Remove the pits and stems before eating or baking them
- Refrigerate in a plastic bag.
- Wash before eating.
- Green Seedless Grapes are light and sweet.
- Globe Grapes are large and sweet, but have seeds
- Concord Grapes are sour and have seeds. They make great jam.
- Champagne Grapes are tiny sweet clusters.
- Store at room temperature until ripe, then refrigerate up to 2 weeks
- Key Limes are smaller than common limes.
- They are juiciest at room temperature.
paper bag for a day or two.
- Plums can range in color from red to purple to gold.
- They can be sweet or tart
- Refrigerate only when they are ripe
Fruit Salad with Orange Poppy Seed Dressing
Brunchtime’s most beautiful side serving of mixed greens is getting an appreciated overhaul affability of a convenient solution orange poppy seed dressing that includes a sweet and harsh kick to the season’s star organic products. It’s difficult to trust we are in the last couple of long stretches of 2018! With Christmas just five days away, two things are sure to occasion visitors are in abundance, and the need to nourish those occasion visitors has gone into overdrive.
Without precedent for a long time, my family and I won’t make our yearly trek to Colorado for a white Christmas. Rather, we’ll be remaining home in bright southern California, dousing up the beams and getting a charge out of consistently with two new family increases, my fourth infant young lady niece and another sister-in-law. My mother and I have been occupied with arranging seven days of occasion menus to bolster our developing group of eight grown-ups and six infants, all under age 4. As you can envision, cooking must be speedy, vivid (minimal ones love eating the rainbow!) and make-ahead-accommodating.
Enter this extreme Fruit Salad with Orange Poppy Seed Dressing, my most recent commitment to Florida’s Natural Orange Juice Brunch Club. This isn’t your customary natural product serving of mixed greens. It’s stacked with seven unique organic products, including succulent honeydew melon, tart pineapple, and my own fall top choice, pomegranate arils.
- 1/3 container Florida’s Natural Orange Juice
- 2 Tablespoons nectar
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 2 glasses diced melon
- and 2 glasses diced honeydew melon
- 1 glass diced pineapple
- 2 glasses split green or red grapes
- and 1 glass raspberries
- or 1 glass blueberries
- 1/2 glass pomegranate arils
- Crisp mint, for embellishing
MAKE THE DRESSING
In a little bowl, whisk together the squeezed orange, nectar and poppy seeds. Put the dressing aside.
MAKE THE FRUIT SALAD
- In a vast bowl, join the melon, honeydew melon, pineapple, grapes, raspberries, blueberries, and pomegranate arils.
- Hurl the organic product together at that point sprinkle it with the readied dressing.
- Embellishment with new mint and serve promptly or refrigerate, secured, as long as 24 hours before serving.