Pasta with Spicy Tomato and Bacon Sauce
This is a special pasta recipe. The bacon and a little spice make it stand out from the crowd. My Mom has been making this for years, and it’s a favorite.
- 1/2 pound bacon, thick-sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onion, coarsely chopped
- and 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- or 1 16 oz. can diced tomatoes
- and 1 tablespoon tarragon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- and 2 tablespoons parsley, dried
- 1 1/2 pounds pasta
Fry bacon until crisp. Drain. Pour out all but 1 Tbsp grease from
skillet. Add olive oil and onions. Saute 5 minutes, until wilted.
Stir in garlic, tomatoes, salt, tarragon, and cayenne pepper. Simmer 30 minutes to reduce liquid. Crumble bacon, add to sauce along with parsley. Remove from heat.
(If you like a smoother sauce, give it a whirl in the food processor, but don’t overdo it.)
Top each serving with additinoal sauce and grated parmesan.