Pasta in Cajun Crawfish Cream Sauce
This is my all-time favorite pasta dish. The Cajun cream sauce and crawfish tails create a taste so good that you will be asked to make it over and over. It is my version of a Paul Prudhomme recipe. My wife asks for this at least once a month!
- 1 pound crawfish tails, whole
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups seafood stock, or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups cooked pasta seasoning MIX
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sweet paprika
- and then add 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- and 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- and 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- and 1/4 teaspoon dill
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- and 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sprinkle crawfish evenly with 1 tablespoon of the mix and blend in thoroughly.
- Preheat a heavy 10-inch skillet, preferably non-stick, over high heat to 350 degrees, about 4 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the onions, 1/4 cup of the green bell pepper and cook, scraping the bottom of the skillet once or twice, about 3 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of the stock, scrape the bottom of the skillet to dissolve all brown bits, and cook until liquid evaporates about 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup stock, 2 teaspoons of the seasoning mix, and the remaining onions and green bell peppers, stir and cook until the liquid evaporates and the vegetables start to stick about 3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup stock plus the flour and stir until the flour is completely absorbed and a paste forms. Add the mushrooms and garlic, stir, and spread evenly in the skillet. Cook, scraping the bottom of the skillet as crust forms, for 5 minutes. If the mixture looks like it might burn, add the final 1/4 cup of the stock, clear the bottom of the skillet, and let the liquid evaporate.
- Add the seasoned crawfish and remaining seasoning mix, clear bottom of the skillet, and cook 2 minutes. Stir in the cream and cook, stirring continuously, until the mixture just starts to boil. Add the cooked pasta to the skillet, stir until pasta is heated through, being careful not to let it boil, toss and serve.