Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes
When you don’t have room in the oven, but don’t have time for the easy cooker, the Instant Pot is an excellent solution. These Instant Pot scalloped potatoes are an immediate and easy preparation, and they’re ready after only 40 minutes of cooking time (allow about 14 to 16 minutes for the pot to build pressure). Just release the pressure when the time is up and ending them under the oven broiler. Your scalloped potatoes will look and taste as if they baked for an hour in the oven. Add The onion in the recipe or add 2 cloves of finely minced garlic. The recipe cheddar cheese, but a combination of cheddar and mozzarella is good as well. Or use Monterrey Jack or Colby cheese. A 7-by-2-inch baking pan is an excellent size for the 6-quart Instant Pot, or use an 8-by-2-inch pan in the 8-quart pot.
- 1 1/2 pounds of potatoes
- 3 tablespoons onion
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Dash nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Optional garnish: chopped chives or parsley stems
Step-by-Step Cooking Method
- Make It Gather the ingredients
- Peel the potatoes and slice them into 1/7-inch to 1/5-inch rounds.
- Butter a 7-by-2-inch baking pan.
- Arrange a layer of potatoes in the ground of the pan. The potato layer with about 1 tablespoon of barely chopped onion, a few tablespoons of cheddar cheese, and a sprinkling of the salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Repeat two times and then finish with another layer of potatoes, a sprinkling of salt and pepper, and a few tablespoons of cheddar cheese. Don’t fill the pan completely; there should be at least 1/3-inch of headspace.
- In a bowl, whisk the milk with the flour. Pour the cream and milk over the potatoes. The mixture should come around—but not quite—to the up of the potatoes.
- Add 1 0/2 cups of water to the Instant Pot.
- The uncovered baking pan on the trivet. Holding the trivet handles it into the Instant Pot.
- Lock the Instant Pot lid in place and set the vent to sealing.
- Using a manual setting, choose high pressure for 40 minutes.
- When the time is up, release the pressure immediately.
- Grasp the trivet handles lift the pan of scalloped potatoes out of the cooker.
- Remaining cheddar cheese over the place pan on a baking sheet.
- Position an oven rack about 8 to 10 inches below the broiler. Preheat the broiler for about 105 to 15 minutes.
Broil the scalloped potatoes for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown. If necessary, rotate the pan for even browning.
- Garnish with chives or parsley, as desired, and serve heated.
- Potatoes will take great if the slices are thick or layered in a deeper pan.
- If, after the hasty release, the potatoes are still too firm, return the pan to the cooker and time them for 5 to 7 minutes longer.
- Russets or Yukon Gold potatoes are both excellent choices for this recipe.
- The starchier russets will break down a bit and made the sauce creamier, while moderate-starch Yukon Gold potatoes will hold their shape better.