- Always use real butter, never margarine when cooking or baking. Butter has moreflavor, better for you and it does not make your food watery.
- Always buy large or extra-large. This is the standard used in most recipes.
- Shelf life is about 30 days.
- Swiss – great for sandwiches
- Cheddar – great for snacks
- Colby, Monterey Jack – great for Mexican dishes
- American – great for toast cheese sandwiches
- Brie – melt it in the oven and serve with French bread and fruit for a nice appetizer
- Parmesan – sharp flavor, firm, grate it over pasta
- Mozzarella – mild tasting, great for pizza because of it’s melting qualities
- Provolone – melt it on a sandwich
- Blue Cheese and Gorgonzola – use it in salads
- Feta – use it in salads or gyros
- Goat Cheese – Broil it and place it on a salad
- Romano- tangy and robust flavor, firm, grate it over pasta
Milk and Cream
- Half and Half – used in coffee and to make pudding or Crème Brule
- Heavy Cream – used in cooking and ice cream
- Whipping Cream – whip with a cold mixer, add sugar to make whip cream