Chicken & Sausage Gumbo
A New Orleans tradition. I adopted this from a version at the New Orleans School of Cooking.
1 cup oil
and 1 cup flour
or 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 chicken, browned and cut-up
8 cups water, or stock
2 pounds smoked sausage
and 2 cups green onion, chopped
3 tablespoons cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 cups onion, diced
2 cups celery, diced
2 cups green pepper, diced
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
gumbo file powder * (optional)
- Season and brown chicken in oil over med-high heat. Add sausage to pot and saute with chicken. Remove both from pot.
- Make a roux with equal parts of oil (must be free of food particles to avoid burning) and flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until it is a dark rich brown. DO NOT BURN.
- Add onions, celery, green pepper and garlic to the mixture and stir continuously. After vegetables reach desired tenderness, add mushrooms, and return chicken and sausage to pot along with cajun seasoning and cayenne pepper, and cook with vegetables, continuing to stir frequently.
- Gradually stir in liquid . Reduce heat to low and simmer for 50-60 minutes.
- Approximately 10 minutes before serving, add green onions.
- Serve gumbo in a bowl over rice or accompanied by french bread.