- 1 16-ounce loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- or 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach
- and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- and then 1 slightly beaten egg
- 1 15-ounce carton part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Nonstick spray coating
- 1 8-ounce can pizza sauce
- Divide bread dough into 8 equal pieces. Place on a floured surface and cover dough with a towel. Let dough rest while preparing filling.
- In a skillet mix onion, water, and garlic. Cover; cook till onion is tender. Add spinach and Italian seasoning. Cover; cook till spinach is thawed, stirring once or twice to break up spinach. Uncover; cook and stir till liquid has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl combine egg, ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese.
- Roll each portion of dough into a 8-inch circle. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the spinach mixture onto one-half of each circle. Top spinach mixture with ¼ cup of the cheese mixture. Moisten edges of dough with a little water. Fold each circle in half, pressing edges together to seal. Flute edges, if desired. Prick tops with the tines of a fork. Place on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick spray coating.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 15 to 20 minutes or till golden. Meanwhile, heat pizza sauce. Serve with calzones.
- Serves 8.
Preparation Time: 30 min.
Cooking Time: 15 min.