Applesauce Rum-Raisin Cake
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- or 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup dark rum
- and 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- and then 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- or 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- or 1/2 cup coarsly chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce, sweetened or unsweetened
1: Place all the raisins in a small bowl with the rum and let sit overnight, if possible
and 2 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2: Grease one 9×13 inch baking pan.
3: In a large bowl, cream the butter or margarine with the sugar. Beat in the eggs, then the applesauce.
4: In another bowl, stir together the flours, cornstarch, baking soda, spices, salt, and cocoa. Beat into the creamed ingredients. Stir in the raisins, along with any rum that was not absorbed.Turn batter into the prepared pan.
5: Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 minutes or until cake tests done. Let cool on a rack. Makes about 12 servings.